- This event has passed.
Serve our Community in Honor of Martin Luther King Day
Sun, January 17 at 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
ONE BLOCK is a non-profit, formed this summer in response to the massive cuts to the Department of Sanitation budget. Upper West Side residents commit to clean their block or side streets 1 or 2 days a week, and there are weekly group cleanups as well. Through donations, ONE BLOCK also pays for 3 ACE Programs for the Homeless employees to clean Amsterdam, Broadway, and Columbus Avenue 5 days a week.
DETAILS ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- Warmly dressed volunteers should meet outside Ansche Chesed (251 West 100th Street) at 10am.
- Jake Russell and Ann Cutbill Lenane, founders of ONE BLOCK, will give out bags, gloves, and ONE BLOCK baseball hats.
- If you’d like to bring a garbage grabber, you can buy one at your local hardware store or on Amazon.
- Children are welcome to help, but they must be carefully supervised.
- Bringing your dog is not a good idea for a variety of reasons.
- You will bag as much garbage as you can (not twigs or leaves) and place it next to the existing trash bins.
- You will be asked to clean approximately 3 to 4 blocks between West End Avenue and Amsterdam, between 96th Street and 110th Street.
- Feel free to take pictures and videos, and make sure to tag #OneBlockUWS.
- YOU NEED TO SIGN UP ON THE LINK BELOW.
- PLEASE DO NOT reserve a spot for children under 15, they are welcome to come, but the sign up sheet is only for volunteers ages 15 and older.